LSD Abuse

LSD is a hallucinogenic drug that has been around for decades.  Although the precise mechanism by which LSD alters perceptions is still unclear, we do know that LSD abuse can have detrimental affects on the brain.

Several lab studies suggests that LSD acts on certain groups of Serotonin receptors and that its effects are most prominent in two regions of the brain.  It first affects the cerebral cortex, which is an area involved in mood, cognition, and perception, and then it affects the locus ceruleus, which receives sensory signals from all areas of the body and can been described as the brain’s detector for important external stimuli. LSD effects or an LSD “trip” typically begins within 30 to 90 minutes of ingestion and may last as long as 12 hours.  When LSD is ingested, it can result in hallucinogenic experiences with both pleasant and unpleasant aspects.

LSD is extremely unpredictable; the results may vary with the amount ingested and the user’s personality, mood, expectations, and surroundings.  A bad LSD experience may include terrifying thoughts and nightmarish feelings of anxiety and despair that include fears of insanity, death, or losing control. A dangerous thing about LSD is that users quickly develop a high tolerance for the drug, and have to keep taking more and more to get the same desired effects.  Long term LSD abuse can cause permanent and irreversible brain damage or psychosis.

Advertisements